Objectives & Functions
The Independent Regulatory Commission has as its objectives:
- To be an independent arbiter in all matters relating to the sale of electricity
- To establish rules and guidelines which will allow for consistency, predictability and transparency in the regulation of electricity supply in the nation
- To be a forum for customer appeals in their dealings with the service providers.
- To protect the health and safety of all persons affected by the operators in the sector.
- To support Government’s policy on the supply of electricity for national development.
- To engage and work with other agencies to promote, protect and enhance a sustainable environment.
- Encouraging wider availability of electricity supply throughout Dominica.
- Ensuring that all reasonable demands for electricity are met
- Promoting efficiency in the generation, transmission, distribution, supply and use of electricity
- Establishing technical standards applicable to providing electricity service or installed on customer’s premises
- Protecting the interests of consumers
- Facilitating competition in the electricity sector
- Enabling the financial viability of efficient licensees
- Issuing, monitoring and amending licenses and collecting license and other fees
- Establishing and monitoring standards by which the efficiency of the service provision can be evaluated
- Inspecting and testing electrical plant and equipment owned by licensees as well as consumers
- Protecting the health and safety of all persons affected by the operations of the sector
- Protecting the national environment
- Advising the Minister on all issues relevant to the electricity sector
- Promoting wider regional cooperation in the regulation and operation of the electricity sector