The Independent Regulatory Commission of Dominica requires for employment, a Regulatory Economist
A. Core Duties
- Develop and supervise the implementation of tariff schemes.
- Evaluate rate review applications.
- Develop regulatory financial models which combine all the building blocks of the regulatory price-setting process within a full accounting framework.
- Design tariff structures within a proper regime.
- Provide support in monitoring performance of the service providers in terms of level of investment, cost of services and level of efficiency in production and distribution of the required services.
- Assist in benchmarking the performance of service providers over time with like utilities within the Caribbean region and internationally in order to assess their productivity, indirect costs, return and growth and staffing levels.
- Assist in the provision of policy analysis and provides support in coordinating, monitoring and evaluating integrated business planning process for the whole electricity generation, supply and distribution industry to assist the Executive Director to prepare advice on sector development to the Minister.
- Assist in the establishment of the relevant framework for economic regulation of the Electricity market.
- Assist in enforcement of regulations and licences condition.
- Provide the Commission with its core technical expertise and distinctive competencies.
- Deliver presentations of the Commission’s position to various interest groups.
- Prepare consultative documents on regulatory issues.
- Prepare statements of regulatory issues for print and electronic media.
- Prepare and submits reports as required.
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time.
B. Required Education, Qualifications and Experience
This position requires:
- A first degree in Economics from a recognized university
- A Master’s Degree in Economics will be considered an asset
- Minimum of three years in similar position.
- Three to five (3-5) years related experience.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and SPSS or Eviews software.
C. Knowledge, Critical Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills.
- An understanding of the financial, economic and technical factors underpinning the performance of all utilities in order to develop pricing models.
- Knowledge of the regulations governing utilities.
- Working knowledge of international and regional regulatory bodies.
- Basic knowledge of regulatory principles and practices.
- Ability to read, understand and apply statutes, regulations, case law, contracts and other legal documents.
- Ability to testify in formal proceedings before the Commission;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, prepare well documented comprehensive written reports.
- Be a self-motivated and energetic high achiever;
- Have strong leadership skills;
- Be a good team player, and able to multi-task;
- Be an effective communicator with good oral and writing skills; and
- Exhibit a high level of maturity and have excellent interpersonal skills.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested and qualified individuals are invited to submit applications comprising a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of degree(s) and names and contact details of two (2) referees under to the address below:
Independent Regulatory Commission
42 Cork Street
P.O. Box 1687
Commonwealth of Dominica
Or email: email@example.com