The Independent Regulatory Commission, Dominica’s regulator for the electricity sector, continues its public consultation process this week with a forum in Grand Bay. The Consultation is the second of three planned discussions on a draft set of Quality of Service Standards for electricity supply, following the May 12, 2009 event in Roseau. The consultation on Wednesday May 27, 2009 will:
- discuss the notion of quality standards overall,
- examine and receive feedback on the proposed standards
- hear suggestions and comments from stakeholders.
Feedback received during this consultation will be incorporated into the final set of Quality Service Standards.
The introduction of a Quality Standards regime will help to ensure that the principles of competition are maintained, even in our current situation where DOMLEC has been granted an exclusive licence to generate, transmit and distribute electricity in Dominica.
Quality Service standards will
- bring DOMLEC’s operating efficiencies under scrutiny,
- mitigate against the common occurrence of service quality reduction in times of increasing costs or pressure to reduce costs
- compensate consumers for any breach of the guarantees
- encourage better service.
The standards being proposed for discussion fall into two categories:
- Guaranteed standards – a set of service criteria which the utility will guarantee as a basic level of service to individual customers. In providing this guarantee the IRC is asking the utility to pledge to make a compensatory payment to the affected customer, should the standard be breached.
- Overall standards – a set of service criteria which affect the public supply system generally and therefore large groups of customers. Breaches of these standards have an overall impact on delivery of service either to customers generally or impact on the technical performance of the power system.
The Commission invites the public to this Consultation of key stakeholders in the electricity sector. The full Draft Quality Service Standards Consultation Document can be accessed on the IRC website, www.ircdominica.org or from our office at 42–2 Kennedy Avenue, Roseau (third floor, above Subway Restaurant). Our telephone numbers are: 440-6634 or 440- 7247.
Date: Friday, May 22, 2009
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Venue: The Old Fort, Grand Bay